People Incorporated of Virginia operates the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Adult program for Workforce Development Area One, which encompasses the communities of Buchanan, Dickenson, Lee, Russell, Scott, Tazewell, and Wise Counties, as well as the City of Norton. The adult program is designed to meet employer needs by helping job seekers upgrade skills, obtain employment, improve job retention, and increase earnings.
These services may include training and assistance in obtaining industry-recognized credentials for an in-demand occupation and help with re-entry into employment in high-growth industries.
Career services are offered to all adults at Virginia Workforce Centers and Satellite Offices. These services include:
- job search, job referral, and placement assistance;
- career counseling;
- labor market information;
- assessment of skills and needs;
- individual employment plan development;
- occupational skills training;
- skills upgrading and retraining;
Adults can also receive assistance in training for in-demand occupations. To access training assistance, individuals must meet one of the following criteria:
- age 18 or older;
- S. citizen or otherwise legally entitled to work in the U.S.;
- Selective Service Registration (males who are 18 or older and born on or after January 1, 1960).
Training may include:
- Occupational skills training in an occupation that is locally in demand
- Skills upgrading
- On the job training
- Industry recognized credentials
- Pre-apprenticeship and apprenticeship training
- Academic and career preparation for training
- Post-training job search assistance
For more information on the WIOA Adult program, contact the Pioneer Center at 276-431-3605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.